06 March, 2011

My Guilty Pleasure


Guilty pleasures are so very addictive. They seduce you, stealthily make their way to your weakest spot, and nestle in there comfortably without you even realizing it, until it's a bit too late. Guilty pleasure is like the forbidden fruit - you know you shouldn't indulge in it, but you can't resist it either. It pulls you toward it, with a strong leash around you and you are completely helpless, bound in its spell.

Well, I feel that way every time I play the game Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. Here's a peek at it:

Bejeweled Blitz !!


 I swear, it's not like the silly Farmville and other alternative lifestyle games that people the world over lose their heads over. This is much more exciting - with lightening flashing as you combine +3 gems of the same colour, a dazzling diamond forms if its +4 gems and the best of all, a HUGE, MASSIVE Crystal forms when +5 gems are combined and when you click on the crystal it destroys the gems of the same colour that is next to it!! Whoaaaahh!!! Mind-blowing it is, I tell you! [You should hear the sound effects and you will know what I'm talking about!]

The catch here is that you have to score the maximum amount of points you can in just ONE minute! And it's not that easy folks! This game makes you think 5 steps ahead, it makes you visualize the outcomes - what if you move the green gem to the right? Would it help you capture a diamond of red gems? Or will it spoil your chances of getting a blue crystal? This may all sound like Greek to you if you haven't played this game... but once you do begin, you won't be able to stop.

This game has a weekly leader-board, i.e. say there are 5 friends along with you who play this game, the top scorer for the week is placed right on top on the leader board - there's a progress chart and the levels completed are marked too.  See below:





That's the level I've reached till now - 'Topaz Hunter' ... I think my birthstone too is Topaz... anyway, it's loads of fun, it's damn exciting, and your heart starts racing and pumping more blood - good for blood circulation... and it keeps you at the edge of your seat! At least, I experience all those emotions while I play it!! :D


It's become like a ritual for me whenever I've to complete a bit of office work from home. I first play Bejeweled Blitz for like half an hour [quite a long time considering this is a one minute game!] and only then do I proceed to start work. 


It's not a good habit because I lose out on the time that I could have put in work and I keep postponing my work until I realize that I hardly have any time left, and then I hurry and start work, with pressure on my head to finish it in time - thankfully I like my work, so I don't have to deal with 'oh-freak-I-hate-doing-this' rigmarole.

So, though playing Bejeweled Blitz gives me a kind of rush and excitement, it also makes me feel guilty for keeping my work pending till the last minute.

I've been trying to limit my time playing this addictive game, and I'm glad to say that I'm improving, gradually.



Well, I've actually spoken/written quite a lot on this topic [What's your favorite thing you love to waste time with right now? A guilty pleasure.] set by NaBloPoMo for this month.



The words just came tumbling out and before I knew it, I had written till the above lines!!

N-I-C-E ;)  


Well, I could go on and on, but then it wouldn't really be good for your eyes, too much reading, strain and looking at the computer screen and all that health gyaan.

So I'll say goodbye here, for now... hope you enjoyed reading about the game - maybe you could share your guilty pleasure too!! It's good to let it out, you know - helps you in many ways that you never even know about [pssst, even I'm not sure about all the ways it helps!] :D

Cheerio for now guys!! Check out the game Bejeweled Blitz and let me know if you love it!



P.S:- Uhm, just be careful you don't postpone your work and other important appointments like I do if you get addicted to it.



Cheers,

Venice :)



4 comments:

  1. FarmVille is not silly! Well okay... it WAS not silly till a few months ago! Ok till many months ago! Happy?

    Bejeweled is good. One of my favorite games too. I found an embeddable version of it and added it to my blog too. It's there in the "Games" tab of the menu bar on my blog. Do you play Mahjong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was a B-I-G fan of Farmville some years back, loved putting up fences and getting cows and harvesting my crops... but then it got boring and monotonous - so I just stopped messing around the farm :)

    Have heard of Mahjong but have never played it! Will try it now that you've mentioned it!! Cheerio :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farmville is boring now I play cityville its quite good.

    Huck Towel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chhipa, I have never played Cityville... and I'm not really sure if I'll ever play it! Anyway, nice having you here!! :)

    ReplyDelete

It's always great to hear from you - drop me your thoughts below! Cheers :)