08 May, 2009

The Black Dot


















I was walking up the hill with slow, thoughtful steps... and gradually I realized the meaning and truth of various aspects in life. Nature has an enchanting way of making you understand the nuances of life and has the power to cleanse your mind and heart gently. I trudged on, over dead crumbling leaves, dry soil, bare trees and skeletal streams… Beauty exists even in decay, I thought as I strolled through the unadorned scenery.

I entered a clearing and spotted an easel with a canvas stretched at length. 


I took a few tentative steps forward and noticed that it was blank, empty, vacant… but wait a moment, there was a black dot – a minuscule one painted on that canvas.

“What is the meaning of this?” I wondered aloud. 


“It means everything and nothing,” she said. 

I looked at the creator of the ‘black dot’ curiously. 

“What exactly do you mean by that?” I asked her. 

“It may mean the world to someone, however tiny the size. It may be a treasure, a promise, a hope and a light for someone.” She paused and continued to say, “It may mean nothing to another; a person may feel its insignificance, it could mean despair, misery, fear and loneliness for others.”

“But it could be both.” I interrupted. 


She smiled and said, “That’s true, though very few think that way…you can take it the way you want it to.”

A black dot says a lot… A black dot is everything and nothing.



[In my 3rd year of B.A, our lecturer had set us this topic of 'A Black Dot on a Canvas'... she gave us 15 minutes to think and write a short para on the topic.  It was a good exercise, as everyone got a chance to express their own ideas plus, it was an opportunity to improve our language skills, our story-telling and to identify our thought processes.]

Thank You Ma'am for setting us a wonderful chance to learn about ourselves!


Venice :)



7 comments:

  1. hmmm this is a good practice ........we used to have Extempore in our english classes....i liked them very much........it used to funny ....when ppl talk random things......and most of them were true .......but we learned to carve a story after we got used to it.....


    hey this is old post....... :) just found that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. such is life....someone can see mistakes as an opportunity to grow or use them as navigators for the road ahead. That is what is perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Hitesh: Oh yes, extempore was fun... you get to think on your feet... and it helps one improve ones conversation skills too!

    @ Lazy Pineapple: True... Perspective plays quite a big role in building ones' life, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Reminds me of Phaedrus' teaching methods from Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Kanishk: I am yet to read that book. I have heard a lot about it and my father too recommended it... I think it's time - I"m going to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely should :)
    Also, follow it up with Lila by the same author :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okie... will read up these books soon!!

    ReplyDelete

It's always great to hear from you - drop me your thoughts below! Cheers :)